Wednesday, March 02, 2005

China

On Morning in America, the focus of the seminar is on China. I have to work out 2 things on order to coherently grapple with my primary dilemma. One is to determine if I am afraid of China. It is a country that has 1/4 of the world's population. If I am afraid, then I am more likely to look at ways to appease China, engage China but not go to the brink of war or beyond with China. If I am afraid of war with them, then I am much more inclined to give economics a chance. I would much prefer to engage China knowing that I am not afraid. Then the engagement is more authentic and not a cover for cowardice.

That said, I look forward to hearing more and then sticking nose in some books on China. My knowledge base is thin. Perhaps Ethan Guttman's Losing the New China will be a start.

2 Comments:

Blogger allaboutgeorge said...

A good place to start is The Black China Hand. Best intelligence comes from having a man on the ground, yes?

The Guardian UK has had a long profile within the last couple of months on Chinese society today.

But maybe you're thinking of focusing more on geopolitical stuff.

6:28 AM  
Blogger allaboutgeorge said...

Noticed today: Inc.'s "How China Will Change Your Business" and Foreign Policy's "Clash of the Titans" (via Interesting People)

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home