Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Chuck Colson

I was able to listen to Chuck Colson on Bill Bennett's Morning in America. I appreciated his comment that conservatives adhere to "revealed truths" . Revealed truths are not about liberals' favorite words: "should," "ought," "fair," "must," "can't," and "if."

Revealed truths are about "is." People who are liberal cannot accept some things are just as they are. A power greater than man ordained things to be as they are. One of our jobs is to accept those things which cannot be changed. Too many miserable policies have been created backed by "ought" "fair," "must," "can't," and "if." Oh yeah, I forgot about "but," "if's" best friend.

I used to be an "if-but" kind of guy. The path to a good excuse is paved with plenty of "ifs" and "buts." I catch myself now when I start to use "if." Now I tell folks that I don't believe in "if," only "is." I had to adjust my language and, more importantly, my behavior to comport with reality. Dropping "if" and "but" was (and still is) a significant endeavor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home